Friday, November 2, 2007

of cheap thrills, strikes and music therapy.

so yesterday night i drove on the spanking new KPE while giving louisa a ride home. mel lou and i had a nice yummy dinner at manhattan fish market to celebrate lou's-starting-work (hence her treat (: ) and mel's-turning-22. my 2 dearest friends.

KPE was a great improvement from the old way to bedok reservoir from plaza sing. although i did go on 3 expressways, it was much faster and easier. a zip from ECP to KPE to PIE and voila! KPE is brand new and the roads are great, smooth and straight and you can listen to the radio underground! although the big ventilation fans at the start of the tunnel freaked me out a little cos it reminded me of the movie total recall.

anyway it was a cheap thrill 'cos i was kinda excited to explore the new, albeit short, expressway. so silly right. my only grouse is the speed limit. 70km/h is kinda slow, y'noe what i mean?

speaking of strikes, i'm so wishing that the writers of hollywood movies and tv shows wouldn't go on strike, 'cos if they do it means a delay in the programming schedules and it's not good news for a tv addict like me. it looks like all the big name shows will be affected 'cos the strike involves virtually ALL writers in hollywood.

well, that constant struggle for money and power just brings out the worst in people. as usual right. but i do want to see the talented writers of my favorite tv shows get paid the amounts they deserve, because i know that they work super hard to churn out episodes after episodes week after week. and i know that those network execs and production companies are just greedy. as seen, so aptly, in studio 60 on the sunset strip.

well, the ideal situation would be to resolve this difficult issue. pay the writers their dues because networks have to depend on them for their income. the writers go back to what they do best, and what they love doing, and we the lovely fans and audience get our weekly dose of television.

and my song of the week is spelt out below. i can still remember when i first got the daughtry album from shianchi who bought it on itunes store when we were in US. and for a long time i was putting the album on repeat, and in particular the songs Home and Over You. just 'cos they were so catchy.

and just now, in a bid to keep myself awake while i study more muscle biology, i put the daughtry album on and i listened to the lyrics of this song. and it contrasts very nicely with the chinese song i put up a few posts ago. that was so sappy and melodramatic, and this is so strong and determined. and so catchy too. so this song shall be my song of the week.

Over You/Daughtry

Now that it's all said and done,
I can't believe you were the one
To build me up and tear me down,
Like an old abandoned house.
What you said when you left
Just left me cold and out of breath.
I fell too far, was in way too deep.
Guess I let you get the best of me.

*Well, I never saw it coming.
I should've started running
A long, long time ago.
And I never thought I'd doubt you,
I'm better off without you
More than you, more than you know.
I'm slowly getting closure.
I guess it's really over.
I'm finally getting better.
And now I'm picking up the pieces.
I'm spending all of these years
Putting my heart back together.
'Cause the day I thought I'd never get through,
I got over you.

You took a hammer to these walls,
Dragged the memories down the hall,
Packed your bags and walked away.
There was nothing I could say.
And when you slammed the front door shut,
A lot of others opened up,
So did my eyes so I could see
That you never were the best for me.

No comments: