Monday, November 19, 2007

grace.

*spoiler alert for brothers and sisters season 2*

i was watching episodes of brothers and sisters online. late in season 1, tommy and julia lost one of their twins. and when my sister got hooked on the series and saw that episode, she sms-ed me after that episode and told me she couldn't stop crying, seeing how julia went through IVF and lost one of her twins due to complications following a premature birth.

now in season 2, kitty got knocked up before actually getting married, although she was engaged to a republican presidential candidate. and when she miscarried the following episode, my thoughts went back to my sister again.

it's amazing how drama mimicks life. or life mimicks drama. since the writers of B&S said the inspiration for that story arc came from some of the crew members themselves.

my lost-nephew/niece had a weak heartbeat but he/she didn't grow as fast as what the doctors would like. and the pain is fresh again. not just my own, but the pain i feel for my sister. and the pain i feel for my friend's sister as well, who also miscarried around the same time as my own sister.

i watch how kitty felt. and calista flockhart is a great actress. her pain was so raw and inexplicable. and yes her situation is definitely much more complicated. being her fiance's communications director of a nation-wide presidential campaign, and the father running for president. it felt so painful. and i couldn't begin to imagine how my sister felt when she heard the news.

Kitty: "I just found out I’m pregnant. And do I get to jump up and down, and be giddy, and call my mother and call my fiance and call my friends? No. Do I get to go out and buy booties, or whatever? No. No, because I have to worry about your campaign.

~

Kitty: You think it’s hard running for president? You should try being engaged to the guy who is.

~

Robert: I don’t know what part of me is more furious, the fiance who was the last person in the room to know, or the candidate who just got sandbagged by one of his senior staffers, who incidentally may or may not be getting sick backstage while I try to debate."

~


God really does bring us through the worst experiences. and i've always believed such things makes us so much stronger. both emotionally and spiritually. and even when my sister hasn't come to know the Lord, i pray that God will still watch over her nevertheless, till the day she comes to know His greatness and grace.

anyway as i said, the cast of B&S have really matured through out the season. their acting is getting good with each episode. with sally field's emmy win last season, rachel griffiths, calista flockhart, dave annable have been SO good in season 2. and i would give anything to be comforted by rob lowe. (: looking more gorgeous than ever in a white shirt and tie.

and i'm glad (in a twisted way) that rob lowe's character, senator robert mccalister, is not a saint afterall! he just revealed a bigger flaw, way bigger than the accidental hero/white lying story in season 1. and i just want to punch him for lying to kitty about wanting more kids and she being more important than his campaign when he ranted on and on to his campaign manager about how he's the most ambitious man he'll ever meet and firing 1/3 of his staff. argh you idiottt! but aside from the lying you can't really blame him for not wanting more kids at this point of his life. (no wonder people only run from presidents when they have grown children). he's beginning to see what his life is going to be like and i'm sure he's scared of what it'll do to his 2 kids from his previous marriage.

Robert: "My fiance and I lost our baby less than 24 hours ago, and we just cancelled our wedding. I have to fly to New Hampshire to talk to the Family Taxpayer’s Associations. I haven’t had a minute to think about what just happened until I was in the hospital waiting room. You know what I was thinking? That I never wanted the baby. I have two kids of my own already, and I thought I was done. And I never told Kitty. And I can’t tell Kitty. And I don’t know if God is giving me what I want, or punishing me, or both. So Isaac, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to ignore your advice, I haven’t quite reached your level of sober pragmatism. Before I can spin what’s just happened to Kitty and I, I’m going to need just about two hours to feel like crap."

~

Kitty: "You really want this too, don’t you?
Robert: Yes. There’s nothing more important to me than you, not even this campaign.
Kitty: And unlike politics, trying to have a baby might even be fun.
Robert: Think globally, act locally, I always say."

but you know what, i think he won't get the presidential nomination. in this real world. divorced, gay brother, crazy family, neurotic fiancee/communications director, young, moderate republican, crazy future-in-laws, liberal democrat mother-in-law, gay brother-in-law in a relationship with gay brother, drug addict war vet brother-in-law, cheating husband brother-in-law, illegitimate sister-in-law, divorced sister-in-law, hushing his war hero story, kitty not telling robert about blackmail, robert not telling kitty about not wanting more children. oh no. i hope they work out. no need to be president lah. spend more time with kids and kitty. (:

yes you can see i love this show. anyone up for family drama should really watch this show. ask me for video streaming links, since tv-links is now down. apparently the guy got jailed or something. i shall do my part to discreetly promote such sites now. (:

back to genetics. and don't ask me how cell biology went. i almost went mad.

No comments: