Friday, December 14, 2007

in His presence.

so FYP has started. and i'm slowly getting adjusted to new surroundings, new people, new things and new experiences. everyday i learn something new, i make mistakes, i achieve small victories. like screwing up a gel electrophoresis 2 times, only to get the 3rd one right. and that my RNA extraction and RT-PCR did work. and found something very intriguing too to drive my project forward. i did refresh my memory about working with instruments and lab protocols and learn new techniques too. including dealing with zebrafish embryos and whatnot. to all you fish lovers out there, i did kill many embryos and young developing fish already. but it's all in the name of research right? don't worry, we employ very very humane ways of killing them.

ok this just reminds me of the great debate of pro-life and pro-choice and women's rights and roe v. wade. oh ethics. at least i guess its less tricky than embryonic stem cells.

i signed a confidentiality clause with IM*CB so i really gotta be careful with what i say around here. and if the *s bother you, sorry its just a precaution. (:

well many people in church have asked me how work has been coming along. it's tiring in fact. though it's just my first week, my supervisor has me doing experiments and more experiments and teaching me and supervising me. she has everything planned out and she tells me everything and quizzes me. and i'm thankful for her because she's a good teacher and she has direction for my project, even though she has a million projects on her plate already. but everyday from 9am-6pm, and my latest 745pm on my 2nd day of work! but i did get friday off 'cos she went on leave, which i'm SO thankful for 'cos i'm just tired after 4 days.

maybe i just need to get used to it. and that's probably why i won't be a scientist afterall. i can't imagine myself cooped up in the lab doing experiments and reading journal papers the entire day. 9am-night. when i leave the lab, people are still around. and no doubt its exciting to be at the forefront of research really. to see your hard work get published in journals. and a successful experiment leaves you so happy and high. still, i think that kind of joy, i can get from somewhere else. and i do really believe you need a strong passion for research, science and discovery.

speaking of joy, something that tr. liyen shared at thursday's evening session chairing stuck in my mind. he was sharing with us about how, to the world, he is a successful man. he has a degree, a great job at a bank handling billions of dollars, people that treat him like a king because of his position, a lovely wife (which none of us can have, (: ), 2 adorable children, a home, a car. and yet nothing that he has now has given him the joy that he gets from knowing the Lord and accepting Jesus and serving God. and i'm very encouraged by his words and it reminded me again, what this world offers can never compare to the joy that God offers. that the things of this world will come to pass, and material things, money, work, fame will fade away.

and it also reiterates the lessons learnt at youth conference'07. that His presence is with us, He will be with us through everything. and this new covenant is established for us by Jesus' suffering, and i was thinking to myself, ohmygoodness how wonderful is that. that God's promises and His glorious blessings are sealed in this covenant and He, unlike men, will never ever break His promises. i've learnt so much more, but it is my prayer that more people will come to know of the Lord in this coming year. about His goodness, mercy, grace and His promises. (: it's quite amazing really.

"Fear not, for I AM with you.
be not dismayed, for I am YOUR GOD.
I will strengthen you
yes, I will help you
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

-Isaiah 41:10

No comments: